onsdag 16 mars 2011

David Bordwell blogging on books? How interesting...

David Bordwell brought in his blog up an interesting question. He asked whether blog-readers are book-readers, and even book buyers?

I don't know really how you feel, but in my world, and the generation I was brought up in, reading is really nice, so, did the "net" change the way of reading?

No I don't think so. For a more modern generation, yes possibly, but right now, reading is not as popular I think as it used to be, in any form. Young adults wants easy read books, and mostly because they have to read. I know lots of younger people still do read a lot, but I don't see people sit around reading, or standing reading in odd places anymore. I still do it.

The thing with books in print is that they are easy to bring, you can easily fit them in a bag. Pocket books really can fit into almost any small bag (except for my tiny, tiny one, made for keys, passport and phone only).

Printed books smell, and they smell good! Reading e-books or listening to mp3-book, they just don't have that smell. That smell alone can make you disappear into a fantasy land. (Okay, of course these things are amazing for people who need help to read, like blind or people with dyslexia or other reading disabilities but not all of us have...)

Of course, for some people e-books might be easier, but I do read a lot of blogs, and I do read some e-books, but it will never beat walking around in a book store, reading the backs of the books, trying to decide if it's good enough.
To weigh the books in a hand.
To whoa over the title, or the author.
To buy the next in a great series.
To not know what sort of world this specific book will bring you into.
To be glad. To be disappointed.
To compare the books front pages on which ones to buy.
to get that feeling when you have the book in you hand when it's bought.

I can walk around in bookstores for hours. Just watching the books. Wondering about them. What tale do they convey?

A book is easier to hide away with than a computer. You can hide in small spaces without any electricity.
You won't get interrupted or distracted by anything.


A book give you, you time. A computer or other reading device never does.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar