onsdag 15 juni 2011

Safety on a bike!

One thing I have noticed, and that has been even more noticeable since I moved here, is that barely anyone uses a helmet when riding a bike.
Okay, I went from using one as a child, to thinking I was too cool to use one, to deciding, well, if I fall over... My head will probably get rather beaten up! So I decided that now when I have started to ride a bike again, I will use a helmet. Especially as there are a lot more cars going around where I bike.

Even though (it seems like) Sweden are getting less and less accidents with bikes involved, I think that using a helmet is vital.
As the numbers on how many injured and killed differs a lot from where you look, you can figure it out for yourself that one could reduce the amount of deaths if people had been using a helmet.

Think of it like this. In a car, you have more protection. On a bike, you have none!
Okay, if you get hit, and you (in some miracle way) does not land on your head, but only your body get damaged a helmet will not help a lot, but on the other hand. A liver, a kidney or a heart is (even if that is hard to) is easier to transplant than a brain, and wounds in other parts of the body will heal, a brain damage can make you unable to live life for the rest of your life. And according to some statistics, if half of the people who died had used a helmet, they would have lived.

As it seems, boys are the ones who has the most injuries, both by adults and children, and I think that is because they are more rash than girls are, and I (even though I have no proof for this) believe more girls use a helmet than boys. But it is important that you use the right kind of helmet. An adult should not use a kids helmet, and a kid should not use an adults helmet.   

The most injuries are caused by poorly maintained bike-ways. Gravel, broken asphalt, bumps, ice and snow are some of the most common reasons why there is accidents.

I think that not using a helmet is rather stupid, and anyone who doesn't use one, is probably not careful with their heads, or do not care if they get seriously injured. Well, I think that people who does not use a helmet are stupid, no matter how "intelligent" they are, because if they can not figure out the dangers of not using a helmet in traffic, then they probably are not very intelligent.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressroom/trygg-hansa/pressrelease/view/10-000-skadade-barn-om-aaret-efter-cykelolyckor-singelolyckor-vanligast-451885
http://www.svenskcykling.se/tag/cykelolyckor/
http://traningslara.se/ta-det-forsiktigt-nar-du-cyklar/
http://www.nytt24.se/a/flesta-cykelolyckor-orsakas-av-v%C3%A5rgrus
http://svt.se/2.128339/1.2230042/utskriftsvanligt_format

3 kommentarer:

  1. Everyone should use a helmet.
    I didn't and look where it got me; in the hospital with minor brain damage, minor hemorraging and skull fractures in four places. And that was from falling off my bike WHILE STANDING STILL. It's way too easy to get seriously injured and people don't understand that... "Because it won't happen to me!"

    SvaraRadera
  2. "If you don't wear a helmet, that means there's nothing on the inside of your head worth protecting."

    SvaraRadera
  3. I really have to agree with you there!

    I haven't gotten any serious head injuries when biking, but enough on other parts of the body!
    The same when it comes to inlines!

    SvaraRadera